Sony is again at it once more and regardless of the ever dropping gross sales outcomes, it is even bought just a few smartphone firsts for us. The Xperia 1 III, the most recent true flagship within the lineup, is the logical car for these, and we’re right here to inform you all about it.
Ever because the Xperia Z5 Premium all the way in which again in 2015, Sony’s top-tier telephones have had 4K decision shows. The Xperia 1 III combines the excessive decision and a excessive refresh fee in a single, making it the primary smartphone with a 4K 120Hz show.
The opposite novelty is the variable focal size periscope telephoto digital camera. 5x periscopes are basically mainstream now, and the lengthy attain is most welcome. However for intermediate zoom ranges, you sometimes must depend on digital zoom or a second telephoto digital camera. The Xperia 1 III presents another – its periscope digital camera can swap between 2.9x and 4.4x zoom ranges (70mm and 105mm respectively). Now that is a primary.
The remainder of the Xperia is pretty customary, or not less than not one thing we have not seen earlier than. It is a high-end Android cellphone in 2021, so which means the Snapdragon 888 is on the helm, and there is extra RAM than on this reviewer’s ultrabook (12GB come customary). Gorilla Glass back and front, mud and water safety, a 4,500mAh battery with (considerably) quick charging – some issues simply cannot be all that totally different.
Sony Xperia 1 III specs at a look:
- Physique: 165.0×71.0x8.2mm, 186g; Glass entrance (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass again (Gorilla Glass 6), aluminum body; IP65/IP68 mud/water-proof (as much as 1.5m for 30 minutes).
- Show: 6.50″ OLED, 1B colours, 120Hz, HDR BT.2020, 1644x3840px decision, 21.02:9 side ratio, 643ppi; 4K@60Hz / FHD@120Hz.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680); Adreno 660.
- Reminiscence: 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM; UFS 3.X; microSDXC (makes use of shared SIM slot).
- OS/Software program: Android 11.
- Rear digital camera: Extensive (predominant): 12 MP, f/1.7, 24mm, 1/1.7″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS; Ultra wide angle: 12 MP, f/2.2, 124˚, 16mm, 1/2.6″, Twin Pixel PDAF; Telephoto: 12 MP, f/2.3, 70mm, f/2.8, 105mm, 1/2.9″, Twin Pixel PDAF, 3x/4.4x optical zoom, OIS; Depth: 0.3 MP, TOF 3D.
- Entrance digital camera: 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (broad), 1/4″, 1.12µm.
- Video seize: Rear digital camera: 4K@24/25/30/60/120fps HDR, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; 5-axis gyro-EIS, OIS; Entrance digital camera: 1080p @ 30fps, 5-axis gyro-EIS.
- Battery: 4500mAh; Quick charging 30W, 50% in 30 min (marketed), Quick wi-fi charging, Reverse wi-fi charging, USB Energy Supply.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; 3.5mm jack.
Sony Xperia 1 III unboxing
The Xperia 1 III ships in what’s been Sony’s go-to two-piece white packaging for just a few years now. The Xperia brand and the mannequin quantity are embossed within the middle of the lid in shiny lettering, whereas a smaller grey ‘Sony’ brand sits on the close to finish. It is a easy, but trendy and durable field.
Our evaluation unit got here bundled with a charger and a USB-C cable, and nothing else. We bought the XQZ-UC1 adapter (30W, USB PowerDelivery) which is the very best one Sony has to supply, and we reckon that is what is going to ship with retail-grade models as nicely. Nonetheless, your bundle could differ from ours.